Saturday, July 19, 2008

TILT: (Wed) Switzerland has serious Alps

Tuesday we went from our friend's house in Thun up to a mountain called Niesen that sits across (tho not as close as at Kleine Scheidigg) from the big Alps: the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau.

The view of those mountains, the lakes (Thun, Brienz) and the town of Interlaken in between was spectacular.

This view is what that word was invented for -- describing this view from this high up requires this word: SPECTACULAR. Wonderful too.



















Then, the clouds came in and the mountains started appearing out of the gloom. Even more impressive and interesting.






Then we had some beer. I love Switzerland. And, Feldschlosschen. Or, in this case, any beer they're serving at the top of a mountain.





Which by the way is where the term "Feldschlosschen experience" comes from. Way back when I first visited Switzerland and my friends I was just about 16, then I came again at around 18. The second time, I was with a friend from the US, and we hiked a lot. As we got into the mountains near the Jungfrau, we had a beer at the end of a long hike up the mountains, and that beer was Feldschlosschen. Then, we had the Feldschlosschen experience: completely tired and deserving of a good beer. And, a view. I think beer with a vista is best, don't you?

No comments: