Sunday, April 20, 2008

TILT: Water -- moving or not?

As I walked my little schnoodle Sasha this morning it was starting to drizzle. It had already rained a bit earlier. I walked by the stream near our house, I noticed two aspects of the water flowing. First, as the additional water was added from the rain, the stream was flowing much faster than normal. In extreme downpours and hurricanes, I've seen the stream up over its banks flooding even the path where I walk. Anyway, today it was moving fast, giving a nice little burble and pretty white water like flow. Beautiful. Second, there were still parts of that same stream just a few feet away from the white water part that you couldn't tell any water was even moving through the stream. Maybe it was higher than normal in that part, but it was certainly not easy to tell if any water was flowing in from above or out from below. Odd how the same stream can have both moving and non-moving parts? It's an interesting contrast, I think. Same substance in different visible forms presented in juxtaposition.

I found a picture from one of my past mountain walks (Virginia has very nice ones, albeit not too high) that illustrates this phenomenon. It's not as still in the pond part as I'm seeing in my stream today, but ... it's the only picture I have that comes close.

No comments: