Thursday, July 3, 2008

TILT: (Thur) Fixing the guitar


Drove over to my guitar fixer today. Really, I don't have my axe fixed often, or ever. But, I've had one that had bad pots and didn't make much noise anymore -- a cheap mexican strat. So, he took it all apart, put in new pots and switch, basically twiddled all that can be twiddled, replaced all the wiring, messed with the neck, polished it, put on new strings. And, voila, for $150, I have basically a new guitar.

Pretty cool to watch it all happen. Those pieces apart look odd, but together they actually DO look like a guitar again. Yeah!

A guy there was talking about his vintage Les Paul guitars. I also have a Les Paul, but not from the vintage era. The ones he talked about were selling for $10s and in some cases $100s of THOUSANDS of dollarinos. He called them investments. I don't get it, myself. I want one that sounds good and plays well. I actually like having a cheaper one that still sounds good. I can't imagine having a real old one -- I think I'd be afraid of actually playing it, or taking it anywhere.

So, I like my old but not vintage Les Paul -- besides, I've had it for 25 years. I even think my cheap mexi-strat is nice, particularly now that it's been souped up a bit. Guess I'm just cheap. Or, not a collector, anyway. How many guitars do you really need, after all? Me, I can only play one at a time, so ... I don't need many.

No comments: