Wednesday, April 16, 2008

TILT: Living without a car

We now have 3 drivers in the house (daughter driving to school now), but only 2 cars. When my wife is also out of town, I'm left with NO CAR. That's a new feeling for me, at least since I lived in NYC some 25 years ago. No car. No transportation. I can order in, when the food gets low. I can conceive of walking to the grocery and local Starbucks -- I am suburban, not rural. But, I'm American -- and we don't walk in America, do we? Anywhere we CAN drive, we DO drive. That's why we need all that gasoline! That's why we pay too much for it. That's apparently why we went to war in Iraq -- to get the gas and oil more controlled. Didn't realize, did we, that we'd have the OPPOSITE effect.

How'd I get on to the war? I was talking about the "no car" situation. It's just odd to have NO car again. I'm not quite comfortable with the loss. Odd, isn't it? Well, at least it only lasts one day a week, usually.

No comments: