Sunday, April 6, 2008

TILT: Rain makes flowering trees beautiful

I learned that Washington DC (where I live) can be beautiful in the Spring with the rain on the newly flowering trees and bushes. Yes, that includes the famous cherry trees, but also ... every other flowering tree. We haven't had a lot of sun lately, but the rain seems to lend a shine or clean sharp contast to the petals, the emerging leaves, the buds. Wonderful. Flowers before leaves, it seems on these flowering trees. I don't claim to know them all by name, nor to understand the biological processes that make this all happen -- it's magic to me, and I remember little from bio class in high school. Still, science or magic, it's beautiful. Like music for the eyes. Just sit and watch. Or better, walk around. See the trees. See the life emerging again. Seriously WOW.

No comments: