Friday, August 8, 2008

TILT: (Mon) I'm still annoyed at the reduced AM radio in DC

Every day I go to my radio, and test the 2 buttons that USED to be the 2 AM sports talk radio stations I listened to. I could get the FOX one (SportsTalk 980) or the ESPN/Zebra/Redskins one (730 something). Now, just one: the Zebra ate the Fox and we have ESPN 980. And the result is that both buttons have the same radio content. Actually, weirdly, they are approximately 3 seconds off from each other.

Teams have been juggled. The results are ok, but if you're tired of one talking head, you can't easily just get another. There is no other sports talk in DC now. Loss of choice is NOT great. The fact that 2 stations are doing the same content is ... odd and ... bizarre and ... well just odd and bizarre. Why 2?

This week has been radio Favre -- and when I get tired of one talking head's points (which of course they do repeat, over and over ... and over again), I can't find another.

At least they canned the John Riggins show. I never liked him. Seemed just not too smart, not really paying attention half the time. Odd stuff. Sometimes funny, I'll grant. But, not consistently good. Steve Czeban is consistent, consistently good, but now only available in the late afternoon, which is not often when I'm listening -- since I don't commute, actually. I even bet we'll hear from JR again when football season gets started again.

All this is due to Danny, the Redskin owner. He bought all the radio stations. I guess he wants to control all Redskin and by indirection sports things. I'm feeling pretty controlled now, that's true. Thanks Danny!

No comments: