Sunday, May 18, 2008

TILT: (Sun) My dog is a fraidy-cat!

While I was walking the dog this morning, we found a turtle walking across the path. Sasha really got weird. First, she jumped back -- I think surprised that it moved when she sniffed it. I didn't see that part too much as she was ahead of me -- I noticed the jump. My dog can really jump -- like with all 4 feet off the ground straight up or sideways. It's really cool when she does this. Another cool thing is her fast walk where her feet all together do something that just looks cool -- her body just moves horizontally but the feet are all working. It's mesmerizing.

Anyway, back to the turtle. She jumped, and then I noticed why: the turtle. She moved back to sniff it, not getting too close. She backed off and tilted her head. She gingerly got closer for more stiffs. I tried to tell her "it's just a turtle" but she wasn't listening. Then, she tried a low growl. Perhaps she thinks another living thing will respond to this? Anyway, the turtle of course said nothing. Which just made Sasha more curious. Still, she was worried. She couldn't explain it. So, what choices are being debated in that dog brain? Bark, growl, ignore, bite, sniff. Anything else. Oh yeah: pee on it (leave scent). In the end, she was just circling with a little intermittent growl. So, I told her it was time to go.

I wonder how long it took her to forget about the turtle?

No comments: