Thursday, May 8, 2008

TILT: (Sat) Wonderful dinner = $ down the drain?

Just ate at Restaurant Eve, a fancy restaurant in Alexandria.   Very expensive, but very good.  Prix fixe 5 course meal with I think 4 unexpected tidbits between them.  Some choice of things.  Had a wine flight to go with -- each glass came with an explanation of why it was chosen, by a sommelier.  With all that enjoyment comes the question of "is food EVER worth it?"  In this case, it was expensive -- I could have gotten a nice guitar effects box for the same money.  Is food ever worth it?  It was worth it at our wedding when there was a big party.  It was worth sitting with my daughter to hear what she's up to -- when she's in a good mood and talkative (which isn't often, nor is a shared meal in our 3 different ways we go house).  In the end, I love food best when it's really good (but, fine if it's not GREAT) and not expensive.  I guess expensive doesn't really seem worth it much on things that don't last.  The memory lasts, but not the food ... or the taste.  Am I just a poor taster, a non-aesthete?  I feel the same way about wine and beer -- so I guess so.  Good to learn something about oneself.  But, I really did like the dinner!  ?

No comments: